Re: srcdir == objdir build issues [SC take note]

> There's no reason to make it gratuitously fail.  I implemented a
> patch that would solve both problems: configury only has to deal
> with out-srcdir builds, plus the users can do "./configure; make"
> with no surprises.

Given how much trouble I've had keeping ./configure working, I think
any new twists will end up with the same fate.  At this point, I'd
accept your solution if I thought it would help, but I think it would
end up the same as what we have now - unsupportable.

The problem is getting the regular gcc developers to test setups other
than the common one.  Either they're going to test them, or they
aren't.  If they're going to test them, we can continue supporting
./configure the "natural" way.  If they're not going to test them,
let's not fool ourselves into thinking we can support it.  If the
solution is to build in a separate directory, let's just tell the user
that, require it, and get rid of all the cruft that's been added to
support anything else.  Just getting rid of the cruft will help with
maintenance costs too.

At least then the supported setups will be well tested and maintained.