gdb is lost and so am I

I have a problem when generating a stack trace with gdb. Using

-> gdb executable core

I get the following behavior

#0  0x471f3dad in ?? ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x471f3dad in ?? ()
#1  0x471ebb16 in ?? ()
#2  0x471eb50c in ?? ()
#3  0x4720b9fc in ?? ()
#4  0x448d7cb0 in ?? ()
#5  0x4721a075 in ?? ()
#6  0x40456767 in ?? ()
#7  0x40de65e0 in ?? ()
#8  0x40f00851 in ?? ()
#9  0x40efc878 in ?? ()
#10 0x40eff3b7 in ?? ()
#11 0x40eff3b7 in ?? ()
#12 0x40efbe97 in ?? ()
#13 0x40f28979 in ?? ()
#14 0x40f2891a in ?? ()
#15 0x40f28831 in ?? ()
#16 0x40df015e in ?? ()

There are lots more addresses.

I am using the Intel compiler (icpc) on a SuSE 8.2 system which has gdb
5.3

-> gdb --version
GNU gdb 5.3
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i586-suse-linux".

The code is not compiled in debug and I do not expect much but was
hoping for symbols which I can then back trace to function names. This
type of stack trace generation works fine on SuSE 7.3 with gdb-5.2.1,
the Intel compiler and no debug symbols.

Thanks,
Robert
--
Robert Schweikert <Robert dot Schweikert at abaqus dot com>
ABAQUS