Re: gdb/regformats

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:06:37AM -0400, Kris Warkentin wrote:
> I was looking at this directory and wondering what it's used for.  I see
> that gdbserver uses the reg definitions but I didn't see if/how gdb does.
>
> The reason is that our OS stores its i386 general purpose registers in a
> different order than gdb does so in our tdep file we have to map them.  I
> was wondering if the regformats file might provide a more elegant way of
> doing it.

Not really.  They are descriptions of the remote protocol; only
gdbserver uses them at the moment but long-term that may change, as
Andrew said.  They are not meant to describe the OS's register buffer,
only GDB's.

The long term goal, if anyone has time to pursue it, is to make the
remote protocol independent of the layout of GDB's register cache.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz