serial_open question

As I see , serial_open() defined in serial.c , is used to open a serial
device. I would like to open a software simulated UART, instead of a physical
PC UART, by modifying this code. In fact what I would do is to add a new
option. I want to know where should I define the new operations for
serial_ops_list , and where should I add the new option in the code of gdb.
It's easy to see that I have to modify serial_add_interface to add a new
option, but the code for this option I don't know where to write.
All in all, when should I tell gdb that I would like to use the new option? by
a new option in the command line?
Thanks!