Re: 8-byte register values on a 32-bit machine

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 02:47:57PM -0500, Paul Koning wrote:

>  Daniel> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 01:29:03PM -0500, Andrew Cagney
>  Daniel> wrote:
>  >> > >The new code fixes some reported wrong-value-reported bugs in
>  >> other >debugging >situations; one of them was reported just
>  >> recently.  So I don't think >'equalled the functionality of the
>  >> old mechanism' is really quite fair.
>  >>
>  >> True.  However, breaking `long long' is a serious regression.  If
>  >> a developer can't trust that, what can they trust?
>
>  Daniel> Historically it hasn't been all that trustable anyway.  I
>  Daniel> don't have a testcase handy but CORE_ADDRs in GDB backtraces
>  Daniel> tend to be wrong, even when they're properly saved to the
>  Daniel> stack.  Et cetera.
>
> I don't like the way this discussion is going.  Perhaps I'm reading
> too much into the words.  A quick review of the thread doesn't help
> make it clearer.
>
> We have a large body of code full of long long variables, compiled for
> MIPS using the o32 ABI.  So each of those ends up in a register pair.
>
> I'm not aware of any reported problems in dealing with long long
> variables on that platform.
>
> So... if the current proposal has the side effect of breaking that
> working function, on the grounds that it "wasn't all that reliable",
> I've got to ask why that's a valid argument.

I don't know if it would break or not.

> If that's not the current proposal, could you reword it to help
> eliminate the confusion over what you intend?

No one is proposing to leave it broken.  To pull up an example from
earlier in the thread, Andrew broke x86-64 when working on the frame
changes.  It was an accident, and eventually fixed (by Michal Ludvig, I
might add).  I apparently broke long long (in registers) in some of my
DWARF-2 support patches.  I'm working to fix it.  I'm only one person
and I only have so much time.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz