Re: gcore and nptl threads on linux

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 06:40:51PM -0500, J. Johnston wrote:

There is a problem with implementing gcore on linux with nptl thread
support.  Under the linux nptl model, each thread is mapped to an
lwpid which is distinct from the pid of the process that created the
thread.

The current linux gcore code is merging the pid with the tid into an unsigned
long value. This works ok in the old model because the tid and pids are only
16-bits in length. This no longer can work because tids in the nptl model are actually
addresses and are not restricted to 16-bits.

I think this used to cause problems, too - it really should be just the
lwpid, I'd think.  For these cases at least.

This change would allow linux-proc.c to get the lwp where possible in a cleaner
fashion.

If nobody has any major objections to this proposal, I can post a patch shortly.

What do you plan to do when there is not a mapping, i.e. in an M:N
environment?  This interface assumes 1:1.

I would think the null_ptid would serve in such a case.

-- Jeff J.