Re: GDB/MI revisited

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 11:53:30PM +0000, Nick Roberts wrote:

>  > > I would prefer this approach too since the GUD buffer would then allow
>  > > completion. However, without level 2 annotations, the CLI is useless to the
>  > > lisp package that I have written, so I don't see how an incremental migration
>  > > is possible.
>  >
>  > Why exactly is it useless?  Using both [deprecated] level 2 annotations
>  > and "interpreter mi ..." simultaneously.
>
> Ah! I follow you now. Does this mean that you would like to incrementally
> obsolete annotations? This relates to something that I said earlier:
>
> NR> Also gdb-ui.el probably doesn't need all the annotations. If you lost some
> NR> key ones (frames-invalid and breakpoints-invalid, for example) would this
> NR> make it easier to maintain?
>
> I will give incremental migration some thought but unless the benefits are
> clear (for you or me) I think it might be easier to do in one go.
>
>  > >  > You could even continue to use "run".
>  > >
>  > > Except that the manual says:
>  > >
>  > >    This mechanism is provided as an aid to developers of GDB/MI clients
>  > > and not as a reliable interface into the CLI.  Since the command is
>  > > being interpreteted in an environment that assumes GDB/MI behaviour,
>  > > the exact output of such commands is likely to end up being an
>  > > un-supported hybrid of GDB/MI and CLI output.
>  > >
>  > > Also "run" generates ^done rather than *stopped and I am trying to use the
>  > > latter to update the source file display.
>  >
>  > The manual is refering to this behavior:
>  >
>  > (gdb)
>  > target sim
>  > &"target sim\n"
>  > ~"Connected to the simulator.\n"
>  > ^done
>  > (gdb)
>  >
>  > The new behavior vis:
>  >
>  > (gdb)
>  > -interpreter-exec console "target sim"
>  > ~"Connected to the simulator.\n"
>  > ^done
>  > (gdb)
>  >
>  > is documented and supported.
>
> OK, but `-interpreter-exec console' run still generates ^done rather than
> *stopped so I would need to recognise this.
>
>  > >  > You mean something like:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > -interpreter-exec console break foo
>  > >  > ~Breakpoint 1 created.
>  > >  > =breakpoint-create,breakpoint={nr=5,location=foo,file=bar.c,line=47}
>  > >
>  > > I was thinking explicitly of *stopped. I haven't found a need for the others
>  > > yet.
>  >
>  > To clarify something about level 2 annotations, what exactly is this new
> [...]

cgdb doesn't depend on breakpoints-invalid because they were unreliable
in some versions of gdb. For example, when the user deleted the last
breakpoint, the 'breakpoints-invalid' wouldn't be triggered. So, cgdb
requests the breakpoints after every user command.

It would be great if in MI, the client could ask for notifications that
it is interested in ( breakpoints, source file and line, variables ... )

Bob Rossi