Re: [maint] The GDB maintenance process

> Right now, we use stricter policies to prevent problems which cause
> breakage. I think these policies are stifling us. Loosening them (and
> maybe adding a formal patch reversion policy) would let more people fix
> problems more easily, as they arise, without slowing development.

I really think that having the bug database track patches is a very
big improvement. We should try to push its use a bit more before
giving up on the current rules.

I don't like it, but that's just my general anti-GNATS rancor.  Maybe
Bugzilla will be better.

The idea of tracking things as bugs or GNATS?

Tracking this stuff in a public database is, I think, clearly better than the status quo (my mailbox). It's already been mentioned that there is possibly a lack of response with some maintainers. At least with me putting unreviewed patches in the database, we can figure out what patches there are, and if there is a problem. (my todo list includes checking that all the key developers are on the bug tracking list, I suspect that some are not.)

Anyway, have a look in the database, you'll notice all sorts of interesting things.

For instance search for tdep & h8300. There is an obvious backlog and someone (a global maintainer like yourself or I) needs to step up and work through them with the contributors. That task, while no where near as glamerous as a new feature, is absolutly needed and maintainers do need to be willing to chip in (in fact I think that task and documentation should be given a higher profile when handing out `credit'). Hopefuly these patches will even yield a new developer.

Andrew