Re: GDB/MI absolute path

Thanks for the great answer.

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 02:17:30PM -0800, Keith Seitz wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 13:55, Bob Rossi wrote:
> > Also, what is the best way to ask mi for the absolute path to the
> > current source file. This wasn't a problem using annotate 1 or 2, and I
> > can't figure out how to get it using mi.
>
> This is a known (to me) problem with MI. The problem is that MI was
> designed to work with an IDE, not just a stand-alone GUI for the
> debugger. In the case of an IDE, this information isn't needed, since
> the IDE knows everything there is to know about files.
>
> However, like Insight, cgdb will need some way of turning
> "../foo/bar/baz.c" into "/home/a/b/c/foo/bar/baz.c". There are two
> options (excluding hacks around the problem):
>
> 1. Get the complete source search path from GDB and let the GUI search
> for the file. This means the GUI writer would also need the compile
> directory for each file.
>
> 2. Get GDB to tell you where it thinks a file is located.

I would like to write a patch to GDB/MI and send it in with a bug
report. Does any of the GDB/MI maintainers know if the current design
model of GDB/MI would prefer an implicit return of the current
absolute path ( like annotations ) or an explicit return ( the GUI
requests it every time via a new GDB/MI command).

Thanks
Bobby