gdb_suppress_entire_file must die

gdb_suppress_entire_file really gets my goat.

I start with this:

  # 2003-20-01/native,HEAD,HEAD,2.13.2.1,dwarf-2/gdb.sum
  Running /berman/fsf/_today_/source/gdb/HEAD/src/gdb/testsuite/gdb.c++/casts.exp ...
  UNRESOLVED: gdb.c++/casts.exp: cast base class pointer to derived class pointer
  PASS: gdb.c++/casts.exp: let compiler cast base class pointer to derived class pointer

So I go looking for problems with gdb.c++/casts.exp.  But there's nothing
wrong with gdb.c++/casts.exp in this configuration.  It turns out the
problem is that the last test script before this one was
gdb.c++/anon-union.exp.

gdb.c++/anon-union.exp makes gcc cough up an ICE (which I duly reported
back on 2002-12-22).  Then it calls gdb_suppress_entire_file, which sets
some flaky global named 'suppress_flag' that cause a lot of cascade
non-PASS results for the rest of anon-union.exp.  Cascade failures are
okay with me.  But the 'suppress_flag' continues into the next script
and that is NOT okay because I slice and dice the results and compare
them with other configurations and these random UNRESOLVED results
show up for innocent tests.

I would really like to kill this 'file suppression' crap.  Every place
that says:

  if { [gdb_compile ... != "" } {
    gdb_suppress_entire_file "Testcase compile failed ..."
  }

I want to say:

  if { [gdb_compile ... != "" } {
    perror "Testcase compile failed."
    continue
  }

We don't have to do this all at once.  I can just start doing this
as needed, starting with gdb.c++/anon-union.exp.

Alternatively, we can add more places to set and clear 'suppress_flag'
inside lib/gdb.exp.  But I honestly don't see any value to the
suppression logic at all.  Does anybody?

How about it?

Michael C