Re: Find out if GUI active in .gdbinit

Achim Bursian wrote:
Hello,
how can I find out if the GUI (Insight) is running while executing
.gdbinit. I want to take different steps when -nw is given (especially
issue some tk commands if Insight is active).

Nothing that I can remember off the top of my head. But it would be a good idea to set a gdb convenience variable $nw so one could perform this test. Maybe you should open a bug report (enhancement request) for that.

Another thing, we could make insight look for a .insightinit before going to .gdbinit (similar to what the bash shell does).

And secondly, how can I source a gdb commandfile only if it exists?
Something like
if file exists $HOME/second.gdb
  source $HOME/second.gdb
endif

What is the way to do this in gdb (within .gdbinit)?

Alias the gdb command to a shell script that checks for the file existence and calls gdb with the appropriate -x flag argument.

You can do it two ways:

Specify -n to skip .gdbinit processing and make -x point to one file (including the extra commands) or another (with just the smaller set).

Or leave the .gdbinit in place (no -n) and use -x for the second.gdb file.
Mind that .gdbinit is executed before the -x specified one.

Hope that helps.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat Canada Ltd. E-Mail: fnasser@redhat.com