Re: Petr Sorfa's Dwarf 2 changes

Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com> writes:
> > I'm undertaking some related work in dwarf2read.c which will almost
> > certainly conflict with Caldera's changes, and I'd like to see where
> > you guys ended up.
>
> Care to expand?

Sure --- I'm trying to put together a patch to support
inter-compilation unit die references, which is (the hardest?) part of
supporting Dwarf 2 compression.

I think the changes are going to be pretty widespread.

At the moment, dwarf2read.c has a number of global variables that
describe per-compilation-unit things.  These get set as we do the
psymtab scan, stashed in each psymtab we create, and then restored
each time we convert a psymtab to a symtab.  If we're going to handle
inter-CU references, we're going to be dealing with more than one CU
at a time, so that's not going to be sufficient any more --- which CU
you need depends on which die you're looking at.

I'd like to change GDB to have a per-objfile Dwarf-specific structure
(like struct dbx_symfile_info for STABS), and per-CU Dwarf-specific
structures.  These would be passed as arguments amongst the
dwarf2read.c functions as appropriate.  Furthermore, each die might
need to have a pointer to the CU that owns it.

Those are pretty pervasive changes, but I think the folks who have
worked in dwarf2read.c will agree that they're the right way to go.
When I've gotten something working on the branch I'll have more
perspective on what's really needed.