Re: HP catchpoint code

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 05:59:44PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:

I don't think we can start writing the PA obituary just yet.

Something to-the-point is probably in order as part of the 5.3 announcement.

You're right.  But we can write the obituary on some of its
catchpoints, I think.

For lack of an HP/UX maintainer, I'd like to disable fork/vfork/exec
catchpoints and following on HP/UX.  This is a necessary first step in
submitting the GNU/Linux version of these features; because I want it
to work for both local and remote debugging, I had to segment it
somewhat differently.

I'd also like to kill the clone_and_follow_inferior code, which was
never really functional; the switch is commented out with a reference
to an HP/UX 10.20 bug.  We don't have the infrastructure to debug two
processes at once right now, anyway; and we don't have a general way to
clone the debugger and get a second terminal.

Unless someone has an objection, I'll submit a patch to do this on
Monday.
(Everything on the internet takes a week :-)

Wouldn't it be possible to HP/UX ify the existing code and then persue the new in parallel? (eg LOC_HP_THREAD_LOCAL_STATIC).

I think the code base is otherwize exposed to the problem of having the existing functionality removed without having the new code in place. Once the new framework is working I think you're in a stronger position to argue for the removal of that old code.

enjoy,
Andrew