Problems with gdb on Sun Blade 1000

I have compiled gdb 5.2.1 on a Sun Blade 1000 (Solaris 2.8) using
both gcc 2.95.3 and 3.2.  It is unable to debug code compiled
with either gcc 2.95.3 or 3.2.

For example, trying to debug "hello world":

-------begin hello.c------
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
  printf("hello world.\n");
  printf("Hello\n");
  printf("World\n");
}
--------end hello.c-------

When trying to use gdb (compiled with gcc 3.2) to debug the
executable "hello" (compiled with gcc 3.2), I get the following:

-------begin gdb session-----
GNU gdb 5.2.1
This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.8"...
(gdb) b 6
Breakpoint 1 at 0x10698: file hello.c, line 6.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/stpierre/tmp/hello

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
0xff3b29c0 in ?? ()
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
hello world.

Breakpoint 1, main () at hello.c:6
6         printf("Hello\n");
(gdb) next

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
main () at hello.c:6
6         printf("Hello\n");
(gdb) next

Program terminated with signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
The program no longer exists.
(gdb)
------end gdb session------

I ran a "make check" on gdb, and it failed its tests miserably.
The summary and log files from the test can be found at
http://osl-www.colorado.edu/~stpierre/gdb

I also compiled gdb-5.2.1 on a Sun Enterprise 3000 running
Solaris 2.6 and was able to successfully debug hello.c (both gdb
and hello compiled with gcc-3.2).  Running this binary on the
Blade failed in the same way the natively compiled gdb failed.

I would greatly appreciate some advice on how to get gdb to work
on the Blade.  Thank you.

-Jay