API for ARM7TDMI ?

hello,
i'm trying to implement a debugger for an ARM7TDMI core with
embedded ICE and JTAG. Has anybody done this before and can you
tell me how much time it took? is there an API in gdb which
I could use for this purpose. Any hints and tricks are welcome.
Im evaluating if I should develop the debugger by myself or
with existing code.

thank you for your comments
bruno