Re: i386 register groups?

Andrew Cagney <ac131313@ges.redhat.com> writes:

> > On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 02:39:40PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> >
> >>  mxcsr        40   40    304       4  int                 general,all
> >

> > With the other MMX registers, perhaps?
>
> Done (I wouldn't know an MMX register if I tripped over it :-).

And Daniel doesn't either ;-) (sorry Daniel).  mxcsr is the SSE
control/status register, so the sse group seems more appropriate to
me ;-).

And while I'm at it, I don't think orig_eax belongs in the "generic"
group.  It's some sort of OS-specific pseudo-register.  We might
create a special register group for it, but putting it only in the
"all" group is fine by me.  Fiddling with it is quite useless (and GDB
does it for you if it's needed).

And what do people think about moving the segment registers out of the
"general" group into their own group?  If you don't program at the OS
level, you're not very likely to need them (although on Linux you
might be interested in %gs when debugging a multi-threaded program).
We could name the group "segment".

Mark