Debugging a process that does fork on Intel Linux

Hi,

    GDB has the concept of a catchpoint to catch a
fork syscall in the debuggee. Alas, it doesn't work
(yet) on intel linux. I put a little thought in it and
thinks that what's missing is a kernel support for
putting the parent and the child processes in a
stopped state when the fork syscall is complete. At
that point, the debugger can then attach to the child
process and bring it under control.

    I was wondering if such a kernel support exists?
If not, is there a plan for adding it? Or are there
other ideas for catching forks on Linux? TIA.