RE: Feasability Question.

Dan,

>We would like to be able to use gdb to drive the simulator. From my
>limited understanding of how gdb works, it should be possible to create
>an inferior process (i.e., the simulator) which can then be controlled
>from gdb, either by reading/writing the appropriate text strings to
>control the inferior's CLI, or by using a stub which is linked with the
>simulator. Is this feasible, or am I missing something? If I were to
>begin to port gdb, is there an existing version which could give me a
>basis to work from?

A good deal of example code can be found in the gdb source tree.

There is a PowerPC simulator there which can be used to run some code for
a couple of ppc CPUs (601, 603, 604, 403 and some others)

You might want to take the powerpc simulator code and see how this
interfaces with gdb.
Just build the gdb with "--target=powerpc-eabi" and in powerpc-eabi-gdb, you
can do "target sim".
You can use the normal gdb to debug the powerpc-eabi-gdb and see what
happens when you enter the simulator startup.

It would be a good basis to work from.

Best regards,
Jan