Re: gdb remote debugging, other than serial port?

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 06:40:35PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 12:13:31PM -0500, William A. Gatliff wrote:
> > Craig:
> >

> > Well, I don't know about FreeBSD, but on my RH73 box, my USB-serial
> > adapter didn't work.  I'm not sure the problem is with gdb, however,
> > as I didn't get minicom reliably to work either.  :^(
>
> It sounded like Craig wanted to use a kernel debugger; you can't do
> that over a USB-serial device.

What's the reason for this?  I'm not a serial interface expert,
so don't really understand all the issues.

FreeBSD-CURRENT has a driver called uplcom, which was ported from
NetBSD:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/share/man/man4/uplcom.4

It apparently can support USB serial adapters based on the
Prolific PL-2303 chipset, such as:

Aten UC-232A ( http://www.aten.com.tw/USB/USB_1/UC_232A.html )
ELECOM UC-SGT ( http://www2.elecom.co.jp/products/UC-SGT.html )
IOGEAR UC-232A ( http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GUC232A )

Supposedly these cables do the RS-232 -> USB conversion, and as long
as you have the correct device driver, user-level applications
which use serial com ports should be able to use this.

Could this potentially work with gdb if I have:

- Legacy PC with serial port, running kernel, sending debug
  messages to serial port

- New laptop with USB only, and no serial port, receiving
  gdb debug messages over the serial adapter

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr