Re: questions / suggestions about gdb

Hi,

Yes, there are definitely instances where going to a past state simply
does not work. But keeping those certain limitations in mind, it is
quite possible to go to a past state. As far as I know both the Solaris
SDK debugger and the HP debugger (coupled with GDB as far as I
understand it), support some level of "retracing/retracting" your steps.

I could be wrong, but I think the Solaris debugger allows you to
actually change and recompile the code without having to kill or restart
the process (boggles the mind, but it can be useful in correcting code
in complex applications.)

Rosenberg's "How Debuggers Work" (Wiley, ISBN 0-471-14966-7, 1996)
covers briefly some of these concepts. But the book is in need of an
update with more technical details.

Petr