Re: Thoughts? New chapter: ``Advanced Features''

> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:20:22 -0700 (MST)
> From: Robert Lopez <robert.lopez@abq.sc.philips.com>
>
> But most tools do have the general features and the advanced features.

Sure.  I just think that dividing them along those lines might not be
useful.  For example, it doesn't help users to find what they are
looking for by just treading the table of contents, since they have no
idea whether or not they are after something that belongs to the
advanced features.

> What I really did like was the general and advanced idea and
> especially the idea about
>    | 	feature
>    | 		tutorial
>    | 		reference
> grouping of information with lots of examples.

I agree with this, but IMHO this requires a lot of work.  Unless we
have motivated individual(s) with enough free resources, this rewrite
will probably never happen.

By contrast, the manual needs to be improved in smaller but
significant ways.  Right now, we have quite a few commands that are
not documented at all, and some very important features that are hard
to impossible to find in the manual.  Here's one example I bumped into
the other day: where do we say in the manual that one can type

	(gdb) print function_in_debuggee (arg1, arg2)

and get the result of calling the named function?

I think we should fix deficiencies like this one before we consider
deep surgery in the manual's structure.