Re: sid debugger interface extension: step out-of-range packet support

Hi -

msnyder wrote:
> [...]
> Thanks for pointing out this problem, which is in fact
> more severe than you think.
>
> A quick experiment reveals that if you
>   1) put a breakpoint at the beginning of line N
>   2) put a second breakpoint in the MIDDLE of line N
>   3) attempt to step over line N
> the second breakpoint will not be hit.

Interesting, but at least it's an unusual debugging
usage scenario.

> And in fact, if you have a multi-threaded program,
> all threads will have the opportunity to run (if they
> are runnable), and NONE of them will hit ANY breakpoints
> while we are executing line N.  This will give threads
> the opportunity to "run away".

No, I think that's only if the other threads all happen also
to be executing the same line N.  If any passes outside, then
the step-out-of-range process would abort, as the 'e' packet
is no more thread-specific than 's' is.

- FChE