Re: sid debugger interface extension: step out-of-range packet support

"Frank Ch. Eigler" wrote:

> cagney wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > > A small amount of new code in sid/include and sid/component/gdb
> > > now allows gdb's "step out-of-range" packet ('e'/'E') to work with
> > > all sid-based simulator targets.  [...]
> >
> > [...]  I wouldn't rely to much on that current packet and/or
> > implementation.  A number of issues with it have been pointed out
> > with it.  Suggest looking through the archives.
>
> I did.  Are you referring to a thread other than this one:
> <http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2001-02/msg00054.html> ?  I must
> admit I don't see the severity of that problem -- it sounds like the
> user experience may be a little jarring with multithreaded apps, but
> not inconsistent or lossy.

If the 'e' packet is going to change gdb's behavior while debugging
threads, this needs to be discussed and considered.  It may amount to
a bug in the specification of the 'e' packet.

And in fact, given the behavior that you describe in your first message,