Re: multi-arch and CALL_DUMMY_BREAKPOINT_OFFSET

> > I guess I'm going to find several things like this...
>

> > Well it appears that in a multi-arch gdb (even at level 1),
> > CALL_DUMMY_BREAKPOINT_OFFSET can only be a constant for any particular
> > architecture.  This is a problem, because on the ARM it is currently a
> > function that returns one of two values depending on whether the
> > call-dummy stub has to be ARM code or Thumb code.  Note that both types of
> > code can exist within a single application and it is not always safe to
> > assume that every function is interworking safe.
>

> Oops :-(  People keep finding things I thought would be constant but are
> not.

Indeed, it appears the arm isn't the only machine like this, though...

> > Any suggestions?  Can I diddle with the gdbarch setting dynamically -- eg
> > by calling gdbarch_set_call_dummy_breakpoint_offset() from within
> > arm_fix_call_dummy()?  It's quite gross, but it might work.

And this is what sparc-tdep.c seems to do...  In that case it's because
the breakpoint position will change if the result is in a structure, or
something like that.

> > Long term it would probably be better to rewrite the call-dummy handling
> > to remove the covert variable that is used to communicate between the
> > various call-dummy stubs, but I'd rather not do that now.
>

>    /* CALL_DUMMY is an array of words (REGISTER_SIZE), but each word
>       is in host byte order.  Before calling FIX_CALL_DUMMY, we byteswap it
>       and remove any extra bytes which might exist because ULONGEST is
>       bigger than REGISTER_SIZE.
>
>       NOTE: This is pretty wierd, as the call dummy is actually a
>       sequence of instructions.  But CISC machines will have
>       to pack the instructions into REGISTER_SIZE units (and
>       so will RISC machines for which INSTRUCTION_SIZE is not
>       REGISTER_SIZE).
>
>       NOTE: This is pretty stupid.  CALL_DUMMY should be in strict
>       target byte order. */
>
> You would not be alone.

I was thinking of the ARM part of the call-dummy code, not the whole
thing, but yes, that needs re-writing too :^)

R.