Re: Anyone using alpha-freebsd target in gdb-current?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:55:44AM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:

 > I did the port to alpha-freebsd-5.0 (a.k.a. freebsd-current).  I still
 > work on it from time to time, and it should work reasonably with a
 > recent gcc.

Should it also work with GCC 2.95.3?

 > The system compiler for freebsd-current generates unusable debug
 > output, both for stabs and dwarf2.  Gcc 3.0 and above should do much better.

The lossage I'm seeing seems totally irrelavent to debugging symbols,
unfortunately.

 > Isn't NetBSD/alpha using ELF?  In that case it shouldn't set any
 > implicit breakpoints at __start.  If NetBSD/alpha doesn't use ELF,
 > then you might need to work on getting the old SunOS/a.out shared
 > library support working on NetBSD/alpha.

Yes, it's ELF, and it uses solib-svr4.c.  I'm referring to
bkpt_names[] in solib-svr4.c:

#define BKPT_AT_SYMBOL 1

#if defined (BKPT_AT_SYMBOL)
static char *bkpt_names[] =
{
#ifdef SOLIB_BKPT_NAME
  SOLIB_BKPT_NAME,              /* Prefer configured name if it exists. */
#endif
  "_start",
  "main",
  NULL
};
#endif

_start is the executable entry point on FreeBSD/alpha.  It's __start on
NetBSD/alpha, and thus my alpha/tm-nbsd.h defines:

#define SOLIB_BKPT_NAME "__start"

As I understand the use of bkpt_names[], it's used to create a solib
event when all of the default shared libraries are loaded for a program.