When do cleanups happen?

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
  [cleanups only happen if there is an error]

> On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 02:18:53PM -0800, Michael Snyder wrote:
> > Cleanups are always done, no later than
> > when the command is finished executing (if not earlier).
>
> Well, the comments in utils.c are wrong, then :)

Hmm!  Now I am confused.

What do others think?  Are cleanups cleaned-up only on error?
Or always when a command finishes?  I know that I have found
that if I make a cleanup that closes a file, then I cannot close
that file myself else it will wind up being closed twice.