g++ v3 gdb 5.0 problems

gdb is really broken on two linux (Debian and Redhat) boxes since I upgraded
to gcc 3.01/2 - so broken that I'm sure I must be doing something wrong.
I tried gdb 4.18 5.0 5.0.63 and 64. All the same.

Namespace and class names are not getting unmangled. The symbols are loaded
but in mangled form. Tab completion doesn't work (unless I use the mangled
names). I can set breakpoints in classes by typing them fully A::member() but
this doesnt work if the class is in a namespace.

Breakpoints set at file:line are missed and the feedback I get when setting
breakpoints looks dubious - as well as mangled.

I gather from the archives that folk out there are using g++ 3 and gdb with
occasional glitches but nothing like this.

Any ideas?

Cheers

John