Re: gdb and dlopen

> To play the part of Bart Simpons dog:  blah blah blah blah blah PTHREADS
> blah blah 4.18 blah blah 5.x :-)

And to play the part of Homer: DOH! ;-P

> Thread support was given a serious overhall in 5.0 (it became
> maintainable and fixable).
>
> Can you try this with/without the thread library linked in?  Everytime
> GDB sees a shared library being loaded it goes frobbing around to see if
> it contains some thread support code.  That could be the problem.

It took a little hacking, but I hacked out the multi-threaded aspect
of our app so I could not link in libpthread, and loading went from
150+ seconds for the dsos to well under 1 second. I think we have our
suspect... :)

I went to the document on the internals of GDB, and the thread section
is empty - where can I get a primer on how the thread support works,
and how the thread_db affects all this - I tried to trace through the
code a bit, to follow what was said before about svr4_current_sos, and
couldn't figure out how the thread stuff is affecting stuff for
dlopen...

- Kimball