Re: Is the current gdb 5.1 broken for Linuxthreads?

Eric wrote :-

>  There is no support for MT core dumps.

H.J. replied :-

> Try the current Red Hat kernel/ac kernel. They support it. The patch
> is very small. I am enclosing it here.

However inspection shows that that patch does _not_ implement a
multi-threaded core dump. What it does is to dump a full core file for
each thread.

That seems a somewhat perverse approach, given that

1) the ELF core dump format easily handles a genuine multi-threaded
   core dump (cf Solaris, IRIX, ...)

2) debuggers already know how to read such multi-threaded core dumps
   and present them as a process with multiple threads.

3) dumping a full core dump for each thread is (to first
   approximation) using nthreads too much I/O and nthreads too much
   disk space.

What is wanted is a genuine multi-threaded core dump, not this
horror...

-- Jim

James Cownie	<jcownie@etnus.com>
Etnus, LLC.     +44 117 9071438