Problem with gdb Tru64 5.1 patch

  Hi,

  I am trying to install gdb on our Tru64 5.1 box.
I downloaded gdb-5.0.tar.gz from a gnu mirror and
got the Tru64 5.1 patch of Joel Brobecker (dated
May 2001) from a mailing list archive.

  I could successfully compile gdb, but to be able to
do this, I had to edit the files modified by the patch
manually, because the line numbers in the 'diffs' of the
patch did not match the line numbers in the source.

  Thus, question 1: Does Joel's patch apply to gdb-5.0
or to an earlier version of gdb ? (If it applies to 5.0, did
you have the same problems as I had ?)

  Now, the executable I got did not work properly. I can
start it, load a file, but the command 'run' crashes the
program (see prototypical session below.)

prompt# gdb
GNU gdb 5.0
This GDB was configured as "alphaev67-dec-osf5.1"...
(gdb) file a.out
Reading symbols from a.out...done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: .../a.out
Segmentation fault
prompt#

  Question 2: Seen from the outside what could go wrong ?

  As I am new to this mailing-list, I apologize if this is a FAQ. (BTW,
should this question have been addressed to gdb-patch instead ?)

  Thanks for your help,
  Thierry