Re: Why does C++ support in GDB suck so badly ?

 > It is really bad that you can't examine a simple data structure - because
 > of "virtual baseclass botch" or "Value can't be converted to integer
" messages.

 > Are there alternatives ?
 >
 > I'm willing to help - but my reseach tells me that's going to be useless:

Always take any thing you read with a pinch of salt.  That includes this
e-mail.

 > Is gdb so bad now that it needs to be thrown out and started again -
in C++ ?

Some how, i suspect that would be a bad move.  When it comes down to it,
GDB's basic architecture must be ok - it would have to be to last 15 years!

The real problem is that there are a number of C++ bugs, some some of
which are complex - check this mailing list for MichaelC's summary.

I don't think the complexity is comming from gdb's c++ support code,
rather it is comming from changes needed to core core-gdb.  It is like
hurding wild cattle through a cattle dip.  You can't get all the
required changes through in a single hit, however with a little
organization, some help, and some hard work, you'll soon get things
moving in the right direction.

 > Lack of response to my query on August 21st also shows a real lack of
interest
 > from the current gdb team so I'm worried.
 >
 > Will someone on the gdb team please let us know what your plans are
to address
 > the lack of C++ support - even if you have none .

Keep in mind that people, having learnt from past mistakes, tend to only
say something when they have both come up with a prototype of an idea
and are willing/able to follow it through to a final implementation.

See the thread:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2001-06/msg00219.html

I think some people have worn themselves out trying to wressle a very
large bull called ``name space''.  The last comment I saw, suggested
that rewriting the dwarf2 reader is probably overkill.

If I remember right, this, and other smaller problems are always
available for the taking.

Got your GPL assignment in order?

Andrew