Re: symbol readers cleanup?

Andrew Cagney writes:
 > > As first step, I would like to get rid of the duplicate files:
 > > hpread.c and the pair hp-psymtab-read.c & hp-symtab-read.c.  These
 > > last two were introduced by the hp merge, and they are just the same
 > > as hpread.c, with a logical split with symtab vs. psymtab generation
 > > routines.
 >

 > When you say symtab, do you mean symtab or symtab?  That is the symbol
 > table information found in the object file or the symtab structure
 > inside of GDB?

Yes, the symtab.

:-)

Seriously, the split was made between the routines that generate a GDB
psymtab, and those that generate a gdb symtab. I.e: hp-psymtab-read.c
has hpread_build_psymtabs() (and aux routines) while hp-symtab-read.c
has hpread_psymtab_to_symtab() (and aux routines).  They both deal
only with dntt debug symbols (I think that's the name for HP's debug
format, I can't recall), reading the object file symbol table.

 > Was the splitting of hpread.c into two parts logical or arbitrary?  I
 > mean, did it actually achieve anything or are the two halves still
 > totally entangled.

Actually the hp functions are quite clean. They are at least self
contained. I don't care if we keep the two halves as separate or if we
keep them in a union file. As long as we don't keep both.

 > Anyway, your call :-)
 >
 > > And see if I can do something with that awful partial-stab.h file.
 >

 > I've several suggestions.  However, given that most of them involve some
 > form of physical violence using a rolled up printout of that file, I'd
 > better not mention them here :-)

Where is sac when you need him [1]? Maybe we can take a poll? The most
creative idea wins. :-) (no, please, don't do that! I am just joking!)

[1] http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2001-05/msg00196.html

 > 	Andrew

Elena