gdb questions

I am considering the use of gdb on a project and have some questions. The
project consists of porting to Linux an application written in assembly
language for a 32-bit DOS extender environment.

1. If gdb is used with assembly language what kind of debugging symbols are
required? I'd like to use NASM, but it doesn't seem to be able to add
symbols.

2. Does gdb have a way to examine the LDT (local descriptor table)? My
application creates some additional selectors for segments that reside
within the flat memory space allocated to the application. With the Phar Lap
Dos Extender we could easily display a list of the segments. And yes, we
were in 32-bit protected mode, way back in 1989.

Thank you.

Andrew Zimmerman