Re: So what is wrong with v3 C++

Y'all, I appreciate effort to fix C++ and make gdb usable for that
language.

Note, since we're at it, you might as well ask the Java people about
outstanding issues. Fixing many of the C++ related ones will most
probably help out Java as well, for those with an aversion to
C++. (This scoping stuff seems to be endemic to both java and C++.)

Other bugs, not mentioned in this thread.

1) cannot print contents of non-POD static data members reliably.
Hell, I most of the times I cannot print 'static const int' within a
class or nested class. This is the perennial 'cannot address memory
0x' bug. I've been reporting this for over 6 months.

2) cannot call static member functions with a fully qualified name.
ie
(gdb) p cout::sync_with_stdio(true)

For what it's worth, I've used gdb + an older version of Daniel's new
dwarf2 reader and it is better about the first of these things. It's
not been integrated, and the sources are sufficiently out of date that
it's a bit painful to use. I do keep this debugger around still, and
use it, it's quite nice.

I'm sure if you cross-post this message to libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org other
C++ programmers could give y'all more input. Pure chance (and the web
archive) introduced this thread to me. In the meantime, I'll post a
message to the library list pointing interested parties over to this
thread.

-benjamin