gdb suddenly unable to read source files?

Hi,

I've been using gdb successfully for quite some time, and recently a
strange problem came seemingly out of nowhere. Now, whenever I try to set a
breakpoint, I always get the error "No line xxx in source file yyy". This
happens even if I set a breakpoint at line 1 in a file in the same
directory that gdb is running from. It also happens whether I try to read
the breakpoints from an init file or type them in manually.

Additionally, when using gdb to inspect a core dump, it no longer is able
to "list"; it just says

1 init.c: no such file or directory

But I am able to get a stack trace.

What happened here? How do I fix this? I've tried reinstalling gcc, gdb,
etc., to no avail...please advise!

Thanks in advance

Brent Phillips