Re: DOS/Windows-specific code: cli-cmds.c

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> >  * cli-cmds.c:shell_escape()
> >
> >     #ifdef __DJGPP__
> >       /* Make sure to return to the directory GDB thinks it is, in case the
> > 	 shell command we just ran changed it.  */
> >       chdir (current_directory);
> >     #endif
> >
> > This code is there because the current working directory is a global
> > notion (as opposed to being private to each process on Posix
> > systems).  Windows ports, at least the non-Cygwin ones, probably want
> > this as well.  Suggestions how to test this, anyone?  Should we define
> > a GLOBAL_CURDIR macro (zero by default)?
>

> GDB, may its self, one day need some similar notion of current directory.
>
> Consider a debug environment containing:
>
> 	o	core/lib-gdb
> 	o	a GUI/MI
> 	o	a CLI
>
> Should the user entering CLI commands that change the GDB processes
> apparent directory affect the GUI?

Are you saying that it is okay to make the code above be compiled
unconditionally?  (That would involve some additional overhead of
issuing a system call on Posix platforms, but otherwise is a no-op, so
it doesn't hurt too much.)  If this will allow future extensions, I'm
happy with such a change.