DOS/Windows-specific code (was: _WIN32?)

> Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 19:09:53 +0300 (IDT)
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il>
>
> > Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 18:24:32 -0400
> > From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
> >
> > Yes, for the most part I would like to strongly encouraging people doing
> > WIN32, GO32 and CYGWIN ports to look back over all those #ifdef's and
> > see if they are better served by an autoconf feature test.
>
> I did that, and identified two classes of reasons for uses of such
> #ifdef's:
>
>   - to take care of issues relevant to DOSish file names, which can be
>     replaced by macros defined in include/filenames.h;
>
> and
>
>   - to handle other issues which are unrelated to file names.
>
> For the first category, I will publish patches I suggest which remove
> all the private GDB macros defined in defs.h, and switch to using the
> macros from filenames.h instead.
>
> As for the second category, I will post here the relevant code
> fragments and ask for suggestions how to proceed with each one of
> them.

In the following messages I show the code fragments which use MSDOS,
GO32, _WIN32, etc. in #ifdef's.  Each fragment is followed by a short
discussion of possible reasons and solutions.  I would appreciate
opinions and comments as to how best to solve each issue.  TIA.