Re: Target code for remote debugging

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Nitin Gupta wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on a port of m32r processor. I am interested in doing the
> remote debugging of target board.
>
> As now, I got m32r-stub.c, m32r-rom.c and remote.c with the original
> code, so which code do I need to "port"? From a previous message in this
> mailing list, I have this impression thatI either need a ROM
> monitor(m32r-rom.c?)

This is incorrect, m32r-rom.c is an interface to the ROM monitor and it
is compiled into gdb. You have to have ROM monitor from somewhere
else (e.g. write it yourself). If you do not have ROM monitor
you can use m32r-stub.c, I would say using stub is preferable method.

> or a m32r-sub.c, at the target.

This file should be compiled as a part of the target image, once you
hooked it up onto your serial driver and exception handler you can debug
you board using 'remote' gdb-target.

I would say, that usually in order to make it work, you have to
understand your CPU and serial interface well enough. Good thing
is that once it is done it usually works great.

> I would like to know, what is the piece of code needed that has to run
> on the target machine?
>
> I will appreciate any direction.

> Thanks,
> Nitin