Re: Interface gdb with a embedded custom RTOS

----- Original Message -----
From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il>
To: Quality Quorum <qqi@world.std.com>
Cc: <gdb@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2001 4:51 AM
Subject: Re: Interface gdb with a embedded custom RTOS

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Quality Quorum wrote:
>
> > I put some documents, gdb patches and code implementing multithreaded
> > support for RTEMS on my web site: http://world.std.com/~qqi under
> > the heading of GDB remote protocol.
>
> Thanks for the URL.
>
> How is this related to what's currently in GDB?  If this document
> describes what GDB does, it might serve as a useful source for updating
> gdbint.texinfo.

1. This document describes what gdb does wrt single thread operations.
2. As far as I understand multi-threaded support over remote gdb protocol is
mostly in the realm of wishfull thinking, so this document tries to fix it.
3. Reference implementation provides full blown working example to play with
(along with a few general improvements, e.g. unifying remote and
extended-remote targets in the single one, where exetended operations is an
option).
4. My overall conclusion is that there are some serious limitations of gdb
core wrt multi-threading support (BTW, that is why
linux-threads implementation looks so screwy), which would not allow it be
used effectively over remote gdb protocol.

Thanks,

Aleksey