Re: How do you use GDB to debug GDB

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> > One thing puzzles me, though: why is the section "Debugging GDB with
> > itself" in gdbint.texinfo instead of gdb.texinfo?  Is there any reason
> > not to move (or copy) it to gdb.texinfo?  Can some of the elders
> > please shed some light on this?
>
> To expand a little on Michael's comment.
>
> gdbint.texinfo is for internals - the things you see when you lift the
> bonnet (1) and start poking around with the engine.

Exactly.  And, at least in my opinion, a collection of user-level
tricks useful for debugging a specific program called `gdb' is not
exactly ``what you see under the hood''.

> As a complete asside, it has also been suggested that the two documents
> be merged.  From memory GCC did this.

How about if we do that for 5.1?  Shouldn't be too hard, I think.

OTOH, the GCC manual leaves a lot to be desired (IMHO), so perhaps we
shouldn't follow their lead without thinking real hard.