Re: changelog rotation...

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> > Splitting by version will satisfy the first requirement, while not
> > necessarily contradicting the second.  (I consider a 500KB file to not
> > be ``too large''.  YMMV.)
>
> Technical point.  Splitting on versions isn't easy.

``Isn't easy'' is my middle name, believe me ;-)  As I've said, I'm
ready to put my money where my mouth is and do whatever is necessary
to rework existing ChangeLog's into split-by-version shape, if that is
the decision.

> You could split
> when the branch occures but then you end up with is argument about where
> to put ChangeLogs made on the branch and merged back into the trunk :-)

When changes from the branch are merged back, you need to merge the
ChangeLog entries as well, with an appropriate banner.  That is the
prudent thing to do anyway.

However, I don't see how this is different now.  When you cut the
branch, don't you cut the ChangeLog files as well?  If you do, the
changes for the branch only appear in the branch ChangeLog's, and need
to be merged back when you switch to the trunk again, no?  What am I
missing?

> > something has to be done to get the CVS sources be usable for
> > the DJGPP port again.
>
> I should be getting error messages about this and I'm not :-(

Yes, I wondered what happened.  Some problem with the script maybe?

> I guess there are two choices:
>
> 	ChangeLog-NNNN (unix - 14) -> ChangeLog.NNN (dos 8.3)
>
> 	ChangeLog.NNN (unix and dos) (we could start numbering from 190 :-)
>
> Much that I totally hate it the latter has merit in that (if I
> understand correctly) it is similar to what is used used by EMACS

No, Emacs uses ChangeLog.1, ChangeLog.2, ChangeLog.3 etc.  The .N
extensions have nothing to do with the years.  The Emacs ChangeLog's
are generally split by released versions, not by years.

(Emacs also doesn't use branching, btw.)