Re: mdebug

Elena Zannoni <ezannoni@cygnus.com> writes:
>Does anybody know something about mdebug?

Yes.

>I am trying to figure out a problem in gdb which untilmately is due
>to some limitation of mdebug.
>Is there any documentation at all about how the debug symbols are built?

http://reality.sgi.com/davea/objectinfo.html
Look early in the page for:

  one part of the old 32bit ABI for MIPS
  is the mdebug debugging information.
  A postscript file with the only currently
  available description of this data is here (119Kbytes)

It is is an old paper I wrote on mdebug.
Not too well written, but... what else is there?
Perhaps it will help. Does not mention limits, though.
The limits are implicit in various structs. Perhaps
 'explicit' is a better word :-)

If you have any questions let me know.
(whether I'll know the answer is something else...)

I don't know too much about DEC or other *extensions*
to mdebug. Just sgi's.   But there are certainly some
important limitations in mdebug.  Like 64K procedures (at most).
SGI did some hack extensions, but ... never mind.

davea@sgi.com