Re: arguments to add-symbol-file

Kevin Buettner writes:
 > On Mar 23,  6:03pm, Elena Zannoni wrote:
 >
 > > Why when we use
 > >
 > > add-symbol-file <file> 0x1000 0x2000 0x3000
 > >
 > > gdb ends up with the following addrs structure, which includes explicit
 > > entries for .text, .data, and .bss section, plus the same 3 entries
 > > repeated in the 'other' array?
 > >
 > > Would it make sense to have only the 'other' part, or not include
 > > those three in 'other'?
 >
 > I think it'd make sense to only have the `other' part.
 >
 > BTW, did you notice the following comment from symfile.h?
 >
 >                 /* Add the section to the others even if it is a
 >                    text data or bss section. This is redundent but
 >                    eventually, none will be given special treatment */

And this one in symfile.c:
      /* FIXME: These sections will not need special treatment because ALL
	 sections are in the other sections table */

All the relevant code is structured like this:

 if ( this is .text )
	do something
 if ( this is .data )
	do something
 if ( this is .bss )
	do something
 for ( all in others )
        do something

Where 'something' is pretty much the same set of instructions.

 > I think you should ask Fred about it.  (There's probably some reason
 > why it'll be non-trivial to fix.)

Yes, that's why I was puzzled.

 > Kevin

Elena