Re: A patch for ia32 hardware watchpoint.

Jim Kingdon wrote:

> > Yeah. This is about as bad as crunching target events through unix
> > signals, something that only ever made sense on ptrace() targets
> > which couldn't do any better. "But the code lives on"
>
> Always amusing to hear people talking about my designs :-) (also see
> comment in target.h at enum target_signal).
>
> The deep question is whether you want GDB to canonicalize things.  I
> do see some value in getting (for example) a SEGV when you access
> memory which is not mapped by the MMU (if you have one) across all
> targets.  Both for users and for scripts.

Have a poke around the sim directories (mips) where the coders pulled
various nasties because GDB assumes a signal instead of an event.

I think the target should return an arbitrary event that can be queried
for its ``kind'' or poked at to create additional detail.

More importantly, you should be able to edit that event and then throw
it back at the target.

	Andrew