Pascal language support patch preparation

At 14:21 02/03/00 +0100, you wrote:
>   Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 13:41:58 +0100
>   From: Pierre Muller <muller@cerbere.u-strasbg.fr>
>
>      I want to format my PATCH for pascal extension before submitting it
>   so I read that I should use GNU indent with -gnu option !
>
>Hi Pierre, I do hope that you'll break your patch up in some smaller
>chunks.  IMHO the fact that you sent it as a large chunk, was one of
>the main reasons why it was ignored last fall.

  But adding a new language means at least :
new files :
  p-lang.h p-lang.c p-valprint.c p-typeprint.c and p-exp.y
plus the changes needed to make GDB know about pascal language !
This means a bunch of other changes of course !

>     But I tried this on c-lang.h just to see
>   and the result is that the current header file does not conform to
>   indent output !
>
>Looks like you're using a different `indent' than was used on the GDB
>sources.  I think, this shows that defining the GDB coding standards
>in terms of the output of `indent' is not really workable.  I've also
>noticed that `indent' sometime really messes up the output, because it
>gets confused by certain constructs.

indent --version gives "GNU indent 2.2.5"
is that not the current version ??

>     So my question is simply should I run indent on my files
>   or should I send them without !
>
>I'd say that avoiding gratuitous reformatting is more important than
>running your changes through `indent'.  Thus, make sure that your
>patches only contains changes for code you really changed, and that
>these changes correspond to the GNU coding standards.

  One of the main problem is that my patches are primarily
files c-*.* first copied to p-*.* then adapted to reflect pascal instead of C,
but of course this copy was primarily done on v4.17 !
I change after so that it compiled with v4.18, but
all the changes  made in c-*.* since then are not in my pascal files.

Pierre Muller
Institut Charles Sadron
6,rue Boussingault
F 67083 STRASBOURG CEDEX (France)
mailto:muller@ics.u-strasbg.fr
Phone : (33)-3-88-41-40-07  Fax : (33)-3-88-41-40-99