Re: Preparing for the GDB 5.0 / GDB 2000 / GDB2k release

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 05:26:59PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> * GDB doesn't compile on the upcoming glibc 2.1.3.  I've submitted a
>   patch to fix things.  However, it looks as if the new libthread_db
>   based threads debugging code is not completely in sync with the
>   upcoming glibc 2.1.3.  I don't know if Michael Snyder is still
>   working on this, so I didn't really look into it yet, but
>   compilation isn't possible with glibc 2.1.3.  After a quick fix
>   (which my patch does not include) I still get a lot of warnings.
>   Since this is new code I think the number of warnings should be
>   reduced to the absolute minimum.

I managed to compile gdb on glibc 2.1.3. But it doesn't work right
100% with linuxthreads. I used 6 small examples in linuxthreads in
glibc 2.1.3. gdb dies at the end. Whoever are working on gdb for
linuxthreads should try ex[123456] from linuxthreads in glibc 2.1.2,
glibc 2.1.3 and glibc 2.2 on gdb and make sure they all work.

BTW, my single gdb 4.17.0.14 binary works with all Linux kernels
and glibc/libc5. I hope gdb 5.0 can also do that.

> * Support for unloading of shared libraries.  The current code-base
>   doesn't really support this.  HJ Lu forwarded some patches that hack
>   around this, but I don't think they are acceptable.  They introduce
>   two more (uneccessary) hooks.  Personally I don't fixing this for
>   GDB 5.0 terribly important.  There isn't that many code out there, that
>   explicitly unloads shared libs.

I strongly disagree. The current gdb makes it very hard to use break
points in shared libraries. This situation is even more unacceptable
than those "uneccessary" hooks. It has to be fixed in 5.0.

H.J.