gdb does not `break' when using LD_PRELOAD

gdb list:

Since upgrading to glibc-2.1.2, I've been having a problem with gdb--
specifically in regard to its use with LD_PRELOAD. The problem is that
when running with a preloaded library (either from the shell or set
within gdb) gdb fails to respect any breakpoints I set (though the
breakpoints themselves seem to be set successfully).

I understand there are problems with 4.18; I have, however, started
to run 4.17-14 (HJ Lu's patched version)--but to no avail.

Any input would be more than welcome

TIA,
--ag

--
Artie Gold, Austin, TX  (finger the cs.utexas.edu account for more info)
mailto:agold@bga.com or mailto:agold@cs.utexas.edu