Re: [remote] Make registers network byteordered?

Quality Quorum wrote:

> On 5 Dec 2000, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>
> > Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com> writes:
> >
> > : [..]
> > : At present the target sends back registers in target byte order format
> > : vis:
> > :     T0525:c4060280ffffffff;1d:c0ffff81ffffffff;
> > : I'd like to think about a [tweak] to this part of the protocol so that the
> > : format:
> > :     T0525=ffffffff80020664;1d=ffffffff81ffffc0;
> > : is accepted.  [...]
> >
> > How are gdb and the target supposed to pick the right scheme?  Do you
> > imagine some sort of prior negotiation?
>
> Gdb knows what target it is working with. Can you debug unknown target ?

Even when you know the target, you may not know its current byte order.
I must admit, thought, that it is a very rare situtation to be trying to
debug a target that switches its byte order.

Oh, and I've seen people debug targets using the wrong GDB.  Sick yes,
but it does work.

	enjoy,
		Andrew