How to adequately test 'sim' changes?

Hi,

I've got a bunch of sim changes that I'd like to submit in the next
week or so, and I want to make sure they're tested according to
community standards before I submit them.

Therefore, i'm wondering:

(1) What's the recommended method for testing 'sim' changes?  the
sim subtree seems to have a minimal testsuite, but I was hoping for
something more substantial?

(2) which MIPS targets should be used for testing of
architecture-dependent changes?

(3) which non-MIPS targets should be used for (additional) testing of
architecture-independent changes?  (I'm not thinking anything big
here, just the need for compile/smoke-test of minor additions.)

(Obviously, everything we're going to submit works great for us in our
source tree... but issues always may arise in extracting diffs from
our tree, integrating them into the public tree, etc.  Unfortunately,
most of the 'interesting' tests we run on our local tree won't apply
to piecewise integration of our improvements into the public source
base...)

thanks!

chris