Re: Jeeni & ARM720T with GDB

>   i went through the code and checked the addresses of bss as well as other
> sections and they are perfectly o.k. ya , grant , it's zeroing the bss
> address only and i was able to come out of that loop . where it stucks is
> in <cyg_hal_invoke_constructors> : take a look at code below :

I don't think you have any problems with gdb or the Jeeni.

>   things seem to work perfectly fine for h/w initialisation . i wonder
> whether some special options have to be configured in ecos build to make it
> work. i have a basic doubt ..how the diagnostic output is handled . i don't
> think that jeeni will be able to send it back to console .. or will
> connecting through the serial port work . is the diag printf 's are the one
> causing it to hang.

You probably have eCos configured incorrectly.  Diag_printf calls
hal_diag_write_char (or something like that) to write diagnostic output. The
platform (and therefore the HAL package) you selected when you configured
eCos must provide diagnostic output routines that work with your board.

There are two ways to handle diagnostic output:

1) Use a UART or other output device and have hal_diag_xxx write to that
   device.

2) Send diagnostic output to the debugger.

I don't think you can use option 2 with the Jeeni.  While the RDI protocol
does allow for a debug channel, there is no way to write debug data to the
Jeeni using the JTAG interface.  If you were debugging via GDB stubs or via
the Angel ROM monitor, I think you could use option 2.

If you want to use option 1, you have to have an extra UART or some other
type of comm port available for use by the hal_diag_xxx routines.  Having an
extra UART available for use during debugging can be _extremely_ handy.

In any case, it looks like gdb and Jeeni are working fine.  Perhaps the eCos
documentation and mailing list would be a good place to look for advice on
getting the hal_diag_write_char() routine to work for your hardware.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com